Akshay Kumar and the little-known stories

Actor Akshay Kumar's mom shares some interesting childhood anecdotes 
By Medha Shri

Her son, actor Akshay Kumar, is one of Bollywood's most successful actors, but not many know about Aruna Bhatia, Akki's doting mom. On Mother's Day today, she shares little-known stories about her son, and daughter Alka Hiranandani. 


Actor Akshay Kumar with mom Aruna (C) and sister Alka (L)

Recalling Akki's childhood days, she says, "He was the trouble-starter on our street, and the naughtiest boy in school." And although Akshay was mischief incarnate, she shares how he showed that he cared in his own little ways. 

"We had no help at home when he was a boy, so he would help me do the dishes, clean the clothes, and keep the house up and running, as we couldn't afford a house-help those days. So behind that cheeky grin of his, he has a heart of gold. He was very naughty, but always nice," she remembers fondly. 

And, the 47-year-old actor, who is shooting in Goa, took a break from his schedule to talk to us about his mom who means the world to him - "Mother's Day is every day! Not a single day passes by when I don't make my mom feel like the most important mother in the world, just like my son does with my wife," says the Special 26 actor, adding, "the bond between a mother and her son is so strong yet so gentle ... nothing could come between us, no amount of miles or continents can keep us from letting each other know every day that I would be nothing and no one without her."

 Aruna, meanwhile, speaks equally lovingly about her daughter, Alka. "My daughter is like no other. Alka has made me feel loved and cherished every day of her life. For her, it's always her family first," says an emotional Aruna, adding, "I have been blessed with the kindest children any mother could ask for. I have never felt lonely since the day they came along, and I've never felt as proud of anything." 

First published in Hindustan Times on May 10, 2015

No comments: